Nurse. Construction Worker. Accountant. Mum. Business owner. Farmer. Dentist. Student - just some of the lives people led before they were forced to flee their home countries and become refugees. Lives defined by work, education or family.
If you live in Manchester, Salford or nearby and have lots of UK work experience - in any sector - you can apply to be a volunteer mentor to make a difference to refugees' employment prospects.
In Greater Manchester unemployment is 4.9%* compared to around 44%* for refugees.
Mentors provide one-to-one support for up to six months. You will support refugees to increase their skills, knowledge or experience in a wide range of areas, such as; digital, English, work experience, job search, applications and interviews; as well as to access other services. Working alongside the Project Manager, you will provide support by building a professional, trusting relationship and enabling people to take steps towards short and long term goals.
What you will gain
- Skills and experience supporting refugees in the UK.
- Be part of a small and dynamic team making a difference to reduce unemployment.
- Insight into refugee experiences in the UK.
Support you will get
- Induction and training.
- Regular one-to-one and optional group peer support.
Commitment from you
We are recruiting for two different roles;
1. Volunteer Mentor - at least five hours, including two meetings, a month, for three to six months.
2. Volunteer Job Application & Interview Mentor - from three hours to three months.
For both roles;
- Information session - Monday 18th June, 5.30-7.30pm or Saturday 23rd June, 10-12pm.
- Induction - Saturday 7th July, 10-1.30pm or Thursday 12th July, 5.30 - 8pm.
- Mentor training - Saturday 14th July, 10-1.30pm or Thursday 19th July, 5.30 - 8pm.
If you are interested but may face difficulties attending these dates please do contact us.
To apply or for more information email [email protected] or call Amanda 0774 708 0523.
Application Deadline: 18th June 2018.
All applicants will be required to supply two references and will be checked by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). Please contact us with any questions.
About us - Refugees & Mentors is a social enterprise committed to helping refugees improve their employment prospects, and get jobs. http://www.facebook.com/RefMentors
*Office for National Statistics, Jan -Dec 2017 ** Manchester Refugee Employment Partnership, 2013